When I first started playing with Python and Django, I was introduced to Mercurial. I had used Subversion for a while and once familiar with Mercurial, there was no going back (well...when I had the choice ;-) ). I've posted before that I use WebFaction as a host for my personal projects. This hosting also included setting up my own Hg server. I was happy, until Ken Cochrane turned me on to BitBucket.
Recently I deployed a django application to WebFaction (this blog!). While this wasn't the first app I've deployed there, I did forget a few steps along the way which required a bit of research and experimentation on my part. To avoid this in the future, I've documented the steps I took to deploy the app here.
I'm going to assume that you have a django app working for you locally. If you don't have one, feel free to use this sample project available for download in bitbucket.